Saturday, February 21, 2009

When I Am Alone The Scents Of My Memories

There are a few things that I come across and remember vividly only when I am alone. The first that comes to mind is that smell right after a light rain in the early spring. It is fresh and clean. It reminds me of driving around for no other reason than not going home just yet. The next is that scent of a chilly night in the middle of fall. It is crisp and sharp. It strikes me with memories of the past. Running on the high school track, blasting the music in my car with the windows down with the heat on high because its just a little too cold. The next smell that I will always be able to remember is that of Lake Lauderdale. I grew up in the summers of my childhood on this lake in upstate New York. The scent I remember the most is that right before dusk. The lake has gone quiet. The fishermen have all started to leave their cabins and the water skiers are all turning in. The lake resembles a sheet of glass. Bullfrogs and owls start to call. The smell is of fresh, clean mountain air. Campfires all around are starting to be lit and the crackling of not fully seasoned wood could be heard. This is my favorite time or memory. I want these moments to last forever. I thank God that I have had the opportunity to experince this life, in this way. I can not wait for the memory to be renewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment