Thursday, February 26, 2009

What Did It For Me

I went to go watch a Red Sox game up in Boston a couple years back. I was driving up with two other Sigma Chi's and we realized that we were not going to want to make that drive back home later that night. So, I had one of our fellow brothers back at school text me some information on a couple Presidents of local chapters in Boston. I began calling around. Northeastern chapter didn't respond, so I called the MIT chapter. He greeted me warmly and invited us to their house. They were in the middle of dry rush (meaning no drinking) which was kind of a bummer cause we were looking to have a couple beers. However, they offered us a couple burgers and a place to park our car for the game (they were less than 4 blocks away). They also offered us a place to sleep if we could not find anything else. Their president gave me the contact information of the Harvard chapter's president. I gave him a call and he informed me that they ran on a different calendar and were not in school or at their chapter house. But there was one guy who lived not too far away from the chapter house and he would speak to the guy for me. A little while later I got a call from the local brother. He gave us directions and asked us to meet him at the chapter house. We finally found it and consequently found him. He was waiting for us on the street. I went up to him and introduced myself and the other guys. He tested me to make sure I was a Sigma Chi and immediately opened up the house and said his goodbyes.

At first I was shocked that he didn't even walk us around the house to find out more information about us. I mean we met for less than 2 minutes and he trusted us with the house. When else in anyone's travels, relationships or whatever has someone been trusted so quickly. That Harvard brother knew we were Sigma Chi's. That is all that he had to know. We share an instant bond that goes beyond time, or place. That bond that comes from lofty goals, shared ideals and principles instilled in us all as Sigma Chi's. We took a quick tour of the house it seemed as the brothers that lived here just left all their personal belongings: laptops, i-pods, cameras, etc. It just further exemplified the trust he had for us.

To this day I have been chapter President, gone to province conferences, been to Balfour Leadership Training Workshop in Missouri, visited numerous chapters, bumped into random Sigs, and met many other alumni. However, my defining moment as a Sigma Chi is that time we were given the Harvard house for the night. True Brotherhood. That will last forever because of an eternal bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment