Friday, June 5, 2009

Live Without Regret

A week or two ago I had arrived at our cabin in upstate New York. It was probably around 9pm. We unpacked the car and got settled in pretty quickly. It was my first time up there this year. Each year, that first experience there is absolutely the best. I often forget how beautiful it is up there and all that it reminds me of. My summers were spent entirely in New York before I was a teenager. At that age I just did what I did having a blast, but you never really realize what you have until you are older and able to look back at your life. I am extremely lucky... I still have that place to go back to and make more memories. However, the point of this post is not looking back at our lives but in fact the opposite.

A lot of the time we live in retrospect. We live our lives and after the day is done, maybe weeks, months or even years later we realize what we could have done or should have done in situations. I think people need to stop and think and live in today. Live without regrets, don't question what has happened in your life. God has a plan for each of us... we are merely following his plan. Each mistake or wrong doing is a lesson. As is every correct decision, or choice. We learn from ourselves and others. Everything that we do was meant to happen for some reason or another. It is almost impossible to find somebody that doesn't regret a single thing about their life. I know I have screwed and made mistakes and done stupid things. But to be completely honest I would have it no other way. I would not change a single thing about my past life because it has made me the person I am today. A few examples:

I didn't do ANYTHING in high school and the result of that was having to go to community college. If I did better in high school I could have gone to a more respectable school and maybe had a different life. However, knowing the lessons I learned from screwing up like that are invaluable. I know for a fact I wouldn't have met some of the greatest people I have ever known. And to be honest I know that God had our paths cross because we were all meant to be together. As friends, as bothers, as FAMILY.

As for relationships I screwed up and did dumb things like everyone does. I have broke up with girlfriends and been broken up with. For each time we fought there was some reason. Maybe it was my fault or theirs. It doesn't matter I gained something from each situation. I learned how to deal with things such as pain, anguish, a broken heart, confusion, selfishness, frustration and a hundred others. My future relationships are all better off because of what I have lived through and witnessed.

Lessons in every spectrum of life are learned through doing, seeing, hearing, feeling. Live with no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment